Major Chat Update + Downtime - Monday June 22nd

Not Recently Bumped
Administrator
(72 reviews)

EpicNPC

Level 100

Administrator

Trade Guardian Orders: 106

(100%) (72 reviews)
Country
United States
Member Since
Oct 17, 2007

EpicNPC

Administrator
Country
United States
UPDATE: The new chat system is live. If you notice any problems or find bugs, please let me know. Suggestions welcomed.


We are making a major change to the way members message each other and moving towards a more instant chat type of system.

The new system will work more like Skype or Discord. Messages between members will appear in one continuous chat instead of a bunch of separate messages.

In order to make this update, we have to convert the current message system to the new chat. This will require us to shut down the site for a few hours while the conversion takes place. We expect downtime to last 3-5 hours.

Features:
  • User list sidebar so members can switch between different chats quickly
  • Multiple tabs (Single user messages, Trade Guardian, Group chats)
  • Note system to save places in a chat so you can find it quickly again in the future
  • Search username, individual chats and all chats
  • Online status shows which members on your chat list are currently online
  • Various sorting options for chat lists
Once we're back open, we'd love to hear from you about what you think, what features you'd like to see added and most importantly if you found any bugs or problems with the new chat.
 
Last edited:
Trying to add note on an old message gives a permission error. Not sure if it happens only after a certain date. I tried one from mid 2018.

On mobile is very buggy, I'm unable to scroll the page since the message box covers the entire screen and scrolling it scrolls the messages and not the page. Only way to get out is to press back or refresh.
 
Suggestions:

return canned messages menu under the text sending field
make the messages go by pressing ENTER
make the new messages load up automatically, instead of pressing 'view new messages' button when chat tab is out of focus.

Something needs to be done with sizing of the chat, it looks a bit messy
 
"Send Message" via profile bug. FIXED.

On mobile is very buggy, I'm unable to scroll the page since the message box covers the entire screen and scrolling it scrolls the messages and not the page. Only way to get out is to press back or refresh.
Will have to make an update so user can get back to the top of the page.

return canned messages menu under the text sending field - yes, that will be back by the end of the week
make the messages go by pressing ENTER - but then you can't post multiple lines
make the new messages load up automatically, instead of pressing 'view new messages' button when chat tab is out of focus. - this is done so members don't miss messages. Otherwise there could be a full page of new messages and you could miss somethign important
 
make the messages go by pressing ENTER - but then you can't post multiple lines

you can, shift-enter just as in most of the chatting programs. Enter to send, shift-enter for new line


Also found a new bug that glitches the whole website, at least for me. Tested this 3 times. Could be wrong, but please check:


So i have multiple conversations (in TG tab if it matters) i go through each with no problem. THE MOMENT I PRESS 'EPICNPC BOT" tab my whole chat gets frozen, i can't click anything else. I can't even go to main website page. It freezes for 30 seconds and then starts working.

Not sure if it's just me, would like to hear feedback from others.

Also, i think text size in chat could be smaller by 10%. it's too big in my opinion.
 
I prefer having enter just do a new line and shift enter to send. I know it's the opposite of how most chat programs work but that's how it worked on Epic before and I'm really used to it.
Plus when I do remote desktop from my phone, shift+enter doesn't work so I wouldn't be able to do new lines at all if you switch it. :(

@The Integrity what mobile device/browser are you using?
Opera on galaxy s20.

Chat messages should refresh themselves. It would be very annoying to have to click every time and pretty much defeats the purpose of the whole update. Simply mark or highlight new messages (as well as the username on the left side) and stop scrolling the chat after 3-4 messages. There's also a sound so it would be very hard to miss.
 
WARNING! Off-site contact information posted. We do not investigate disputes if you communicate off-site.
you can, shift-enter just as in most of the chatting programs. Enter to send, shift-enter for new line


Also found a new bug that glitches the whole website, at least for me. Tested this 3 times. Could be wrong, but please check:


So i have multiple conversations (in TG tab if it matters) i go through each with no problem. THE MOMENT I PRESS 'EPICNPC BOT" tab my whole chat gets frozen, i can't click anything else. I can't even go to main website page. It freezes for 30 seconds and then starts working.

Not sure if it's just me, would like to hear feedback from others.

Also, i think text size in chat could be smaller by 10%. it's too big in my opinion.

For me it works fine.


Good job Mike, and goodbye Discord ;D
 
Can you make it show who made the last reply in the message list? Before the update, the icon of the message would be the avatar of the person who responded last so you instantly knew whether you replied to a particular message or not.
 
the green dot currently shows new messages. However this will be replaced tomorrow and the row color will be different. The green dot will instead indicate who's online/offline.

Chat messages should refresh themselves. It would be very annoying to have to click every time and pretty much defeats the purpose of the whole update. Simply mark or highlight new messages (as well as the username on the left side) and stop scrolling the chat after 3-4 messages. There's also a sound so it would be very hard to miss.
The "refresh messages" button is meant so people don't miss messages if they have another tab open doing things. If you have the chat open, then the messages just immediately appear.

I'm open to changing this, but we'll give it a few days to see what everybody thinks. Maybe some might like this better.
 
Last edited:
I think the overall idea is pretty neat on its own and finally we do have a chat, however on browser it works like buttercream and honey, but on mobile - idk if its just my perception but the formatting is a bit way off and very clunky for navigation/scrolling at least for my cup of tea.
 
the green dot currently shows new messages. However this will be replaced tomorrow and the row color will be different. The green dot will instead indicate who's online/offline.


The "refresh messages" button is meant so people don't miss messages if they have another tab open doing things. If you have the chat open, then the messages just immediately appear.

I'm open to changing this, but we'll give it a few days to see what everybody thinks. Maybe some might like this better.

having to click the button to see new messages especially when you deal with 4 tabs at the same time is quite annoying. please make a change. Obviously people that come and go to the forum they won't notice any difference because they don't talk as much as TG or moderator does.

Or make a settings so that you can switch autoscrolling on or off.
 
on mobile - idk if its just my perception but the formatting is a bit way off and very clunky for navigation/scrolling at least for my cup of tea.
We'll be making changes and improvements over the next few days and weeks to improve the mobile version based on feedback, so you should see some improvements each day.

Any plans to make epicpnpc forum app/chat app for phones?
No plans at this time, but possibly in the future.
 
I am still trying out the chat but I have one critique on looks. the box on the left that lists the messages. if there is multiple users in the conversation for instance trade guardian transactions, it looks to busy and "messy" the boxes for users first letter zigzag multiple colors some zig zag and others will be one box, its more aesthetic.

also it keeps telling me "there are new messages" and to load them. why is that?
 
12345.PNG


No new messages but "1" is here
 
Also when we get epicnpc tg requests all the messages come in one chat from the bot. All
The messages look like its one message and you have to pick through them to figure out whats going on
 
I am still trying out the chat but I have one critique on looks. the box on the left that lists the messages. if there is multiple users in the conversation for instance trade guardian transactions, it looks to busy and "messy" the boxes for users first letter zigzag multiple colors some zig zag and others will be one box, its more aesthetic.

also it keeps telling me "there are new messages" and to load them. why is that?

Okay, we'll see if there's a nicer way to display the avatars for group chats. The "load new message" link appears when your off tab or off browser and you get new message. This is so members don't missing any new messages. This might be changed in the future.

No new messages but "1" is here
When you open chat, it automatically opens the most recently active chat which is at the top of your list. That chat had a new message, but was automatically opened, so the notification disappeared.

I am not sure if it's already reported but the search in the chat doesn't work at the moment. "OOPS! WE RAN INTO SOME PROBLEMS. - Invalid Request ". Thank you
Thank you. I've confirmed, it will be fixed soon.

Also when we get epicnpc tg requests all the messages come in one chat from the bot. All
The messages look like its one message and you have to pick through them to figure out whats going on
Yes, all messages some from the Epicnpc Bot and are listed in one chat. I'm not sure if there anything we can do about this. I don't see any issue with viewing the message this way. You can still see all your notifications in dated order.
 
Also I am getting the error to load chat messages when I am not tabbed out.
It's not an error, it just means you were off screen. it appears even if you switched to another program, even if the chat was still on your screen. For example, clicking notepad, then switching back to your browser. It also appears if the chat is opened, but the chat is off screen a bit.
 
It's not an error, it just means you were off screen. it appears even if you switched to another program, even if the chat was still on your screen. For example, clicking notepad, then switching back to your browser. It also appears if the chat is opened, but the chat is off screen a bit.

I am telling you I am getting error not being in other tabs or programs. I am staring at chat and its telling me theres new messages. Its not every time but I am not in any other screen
 
Some one messaged me months ago about an account, i just messaged them about an account. It opened the old message and posted to that and did not link the thread to it so it does not show what i was inquiring about
 
Last edited:
When you PM someone from his thread the thread link is not linked anymore in the message title, which was a very nice feature.
There's no titles anymore, so the thread URL isn't included anymore. We can add the URL to the chat content box, then the user can decide to keep it or remove it when they send the message.

chat on mobile phones does not work well.
The scrolling issue is being worked on. If there's something else, let me know.

I am telling you I am getting error not being in other tabs or programs. I am staring at chat and its telling me theres new messages. Its not every time but I am not in any other screen
We'll investigate.
 
I mean, i can't remove number "1" from chat although each message is open, it's really annoying

I am experiencing the same issue just now. I've read every message and this 1 notification can't seem to disappear even if I hard refreshed the site. Getting a new message will increment it but it still won't disappear.

It happened when I got several messages and opened all of them on separate tabs. I was already doing this since the new chat update so I'm no sure what exactly triggered it.

1593116906796.png
 
Back
Top