• We do not use Discord. Our middlemen do not use Discord. All Trade Guardian services are on Epicnpc, NEVER off-site or via email. We do not investigate Discord disputes. Please contact members on our website.

I got scammed - learn from my mistake

rrouland

Country
Not Phone Verified
Multiple Accounts
I posted my lvl 60 warrior account here and on eBay for sale. Through eBay, I received a message from a person asking for my MSN Messenger ID so we could do instant messaging. I provided the information, and within an hour the person was online identifying themselves as "Harry" with an email address [email protected] We negotiated on the price and we settled on a fair amount.

While this was going on, I took the original message I received from eBay and looked up that user. 100% positive feedback. It appeared the person mostly purchased motorcycle parts.

During instant messaging, the person was very friendly and was telling me they were installing WoW and it was updating. They sent me the money via PayPal.

The money showed it came from a [email protected] I was provided with a telephone number and address. I did the phone number check and the area code matched the address. I mentioned that the name (Paula) did not match the IM name (Harry). I never actually said "Paula", only that the names did not match. The person IM'd me that their real name was Paula, a woman, and that she liked to use the name Harry in instant messaging for personal security.

I checked on the PayPal information, and [email protected] was a verified premier user of PayPal. It all looked really good.

Money was received into my PayPal account. I did receive a notice from PayPal that the money transaction type used by the sender did not grant me PayPal protection. I asked about this, and was told by "Paula" that she sent payment as "quasi-cash" instead of payment for an auction, and therefore I would receive that warning, but the money was there and in my account. It all sounded good to me.

1. eBay checked - 100% positive feedback
2. PayPal checked - verified premier user
3. Address and phone number checked
4. Person was able to provide me the proper name used for the PayPal payment
5. Payment received in my account.

I gave the person user name and password for the WoW account. They said they were installing WoW and it was updating and they would go in and change the password. I logged off.

A few hours later I logged into PayPal and my balance was $0. I have a message that the payment had been reversed and that PayPal was investigating. I sent an email to PayPal demanding an investigation, and informing them of what had happened to me. I sent emails to both the yahoo and hotmail accounts asking the person if there was some kind of mistake.

PayPal contacted me first. I was not protected because the transaction involved digital goods, which according to PayPal is not protected in any way, shape or form. According to PayPal, the payment did not come from [email protected], but from another source outside of the U.S. No further information.

Then I got an email from Paula Drayton, who tells me she's never heard of WoW, knows nobody who plays computer games, but she will contact PayPal to see if someone has hacked her account.

I sent an eBay message to the eBay person where I originally go the request to buy the account, and they also claim to know nothing about WoW or know anybody who plays it.

It appears whoever the person was was able to send me messages making it appear they were coming from a specific eBay user, and a specific yahoo address, but it was actually originating from someone outside of the U.S. They were able to get the address and phone number of the PayPal account holder. Obviously, I should have called the number and talked to the person, but it all seemed so sincere. You always want to hope the best from people.

So, lost a lvl 60 account with lots of nice epics and thousands of hours of playtime. I saw that person log in for the first time last night, and I sent them plenty of in-game tells calling them a thief and an [censored], but they just put me on ignore.

If you deal with PayPal, I recommend you transfer the money to another account (3-5 business days) before you provide any login or password information. Follow the advice provided on this forum and call the number provided. Don't get duped like I did.

W0welite

Country
Not Phone Verified
Multiple Accounts
That is an amazing scam...its unbelievable how far people go to scam [censored] If after doing all that verification you still got scammed it doesnt even seem like theres a completely safe way to sell an account someone could always scam you

Cyntrios34

Country
Not Phone Verified
Multiple Accounts
[ QUOTE ]
That is an amazing scam...its unbelievable how far people go to scam [censored] If after doing all that verification you still got scammed it doesnt even seem like theres a completely safe way to sell an account someone could always scam you

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, thats amazing...

Stev

Long-term member
Country
Not Phone Verified
Multiple Accounts
I was scammed by a guy using stolen paypal accounts as well. Got me for $270.

Did you give the sq/sa? If you know it and/or the CDKEY you can get the account back.

I believe the one mistake was not asking to call and talk to the person on the phone at the number, which is a must.

Stev

rikkah

Country
Not Phone Verified
Multiple Accounts
Always transfer the recived money to another paypal account if possible IMMEDIATLEY, quasi cash is Bullshit, and thats the reason why. We all learn from our mistakes, i know a guy selling a priest on sargeras alliance he might sell for cheap, send me a tell fi your intrested and sorry about what happend. /u/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

aim= thelordjigga

fuzzybearface

Country
Not Phone Verified
Multiple Accounts
buying/selling accounts is tricky, especially since most buyers what all of the information before they even show/send you anything..

as a buyer i know i would wanna know my account is safe before i fork over 300+ dollars. even offering a phone coversation, home address ect usually isn't enough. we need to find a way to middle man trades like these someway like we do trades.

if this happend to me i definatly would contact the authorities.

rrouland

Country
Not Phone Verified
Multiple Accounts
[ QUOTE ]
I was scammed by a guy using stolen paypal accounts as well. Got me for $270.

Did you give the sq/sa? If you know it and/or the CDKEY you can get the account back.

I believe the one mistake was not asking to call and talk to the person on the phone at the number, which is a must.

Stev

[/ QUOTE ]

I have contacted the friend of mine who was the original holder of the account for the sq/sa. I hope to use this to "retrieve the password" and once it is mailed to the original owners address, I'll have the password and be able to log back into the account and take it back. Unless the person who now holds the account has changed the email in the contact information. The original owner is also mailing to me the CD's with CD keys. How can I use the CD key to get the account back? Thanks all for the good information and support.